Scope of Work
The scope of the Project includes the technology interrelations needed for a holistic approach to marine engine efficiency improvement, emissions reduction and reliability increase. Specifically, work will be performed in the following areas:
- Multi-fuel switching and direct gas injection technologies
- Partially premixed combustion
- Low temperature, cool combustion with extreme Miller valve timing plus Exhaust Gas Recirculation
- Visualization methods for flow inside fuel injection nozzles
- Laser optic methods for fuel spray field investigation inside full scale working engine
- Combustion analysis and modelling tools validated through full scale experiments.
- Sequential Aftertreatment Units including SCR, Scrubber and Electrostatic Precipitator.
- Advanced multistage sequential turbocharging schemes.
- Combination of Exhaust Gas Recirculation and Water-in-Fuel Techniques.
- Engine Thermal Process adaptation with adaptive control for extreme operating conditions.
- Overall engine adaptive control combining individual cylinder controls
- Operating behaviour evaluation algorithms and model based diagnostic methods.
- Emission optimised lubrication.
- Methods of friction reduction in bearings, piston rings, skirts
- Vessel powerplant monitoring and asset management.
The integrated RTD work in these areas including analysis, simulations, design, development and prototype testing, as well as selected full scale testing, will allow the HERCULES-C objectives to be achieved concurrently i.e. to be obtained simultaneously.