Work Package 3: Injection, Spray Formation and Combustion
- To simulate and investigate by experiments the flow inside the injection system of large diesel engines and establish connections between design related factors, e.g. geometry effects and cavitation and the conditions at the nozzle exit, which in turn are decisive to the subsequent spray formation.
- To carry out detailed experimental studies on sprays and fuel - air mixing in order to establish the influence of different injection system design and operation parameters.
- To establish and validate methods and approaches for modeling such effects.
- To characterize the combustion process in large diesel engines and its dependence on the injection, spray and fuel air mixture formation processes.
- To apply the available knowledge to further develop, validate, and apply CFD-based tools, techniques, and methods for modeling combustion in large marine engines.
Work Package Highlights